Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

First Post of 2014 - Apparently My Resolution Involved Procrastination

Well hi there! Gee whiz, where did the last two weeks go? I had grand plans to blog all through the holidays and then start the New Year off with some motivational posts but instead I have been trying to cope with the craziness that is my life. My writing skills will definitely never do justice to all of the stories I could tell from the past couple of weeks but I'm going to attempt a quick catch up post.


First of all, I had a wonderful time celebrating Christmas in Virginia with my family. I was able to spend time with all of the people I love and I FINALLY got to meet my brand new and super adorable niece, Olivia Charlotte Matheny.

Yes, that beautiful little baby was definitely one of the highlights of my trip and we spent a lot of time snuggled up just like the picture above. I think it literally took her about ten seconds and one smile to completely wrap me around her finger. I mean, for real, check this baby out:

She is just ridiculous!!! So, besides spending tons of time being an aunt, I also found time to go on a couple of runs through the hills of Virginia and loved every single second of it. It was freezing cold and my hands and feet were numb for hours after I finished but I have definitely missed running in Virginia...it's the best! After all, Virginia is for Runners! It was absolutely wonderful having time off to hang out with my family. I absolutely love living in Charleston, SC but sometimes it is hard to be so far away from my family...especially when you have a family that is as awesome as mine is. I miss them every single day and have already started counting down the days until we can hang out again.


Although my trip to Virginia and time there was awesome, my journey back home was quite the adventure. I'm not going to get into every little detail but the quick synopsis includes:
- 9ish hours of holiday traffic on I-95.
- Blowing my transmission/clutch/flywheel while going 75 mph down I-26.
- Sitting in my car on the side of the road for 3 hours because the tow truck couldn't find me.

- Realizing my cell phone was dead and even if it wasn't everyone I could call for help was at least 6 hours away.
- Hitching a ride to the airport at 11:00 pm because that was the only place I could rent a car.
- Walking in my front door after a 14 hour ordeal to realize that my bathroom was completely flooded.
- Spending 2 additional hours sanitizing my entire home and doing countless loads of laundry.
- Trying my best to not cry myself to sleep.



Suffice it to say, I spent the rest of my holiday break trying to figure out car stuff, arguing with plumbing people, trying to juggle finances and forcing myself to stay calm. I also had the added pleasure of spending five mind numbing hours at DMV and another couple of hours in the tax auditor's office. After a solid week of solving one crisis after another, I literally slept an entire weekend away and woke up on Monday ready to face the world. However, the world was ready for me with a sneak attack in the form of a flat tire on the coldest morning ever!!! Trust me, standing on the side of the road in 18 degree weather is not awesome! At this point, all I can really do is laugh about my misfortune. Life just isn't fair sometimes and right now seems to be my "sometimes."


On the plus side, I just renewed my lease for another year which means that Charleston will be home until at least February 2015. I realized on my drive to Virginia that Charleston is "home" now. Despite all of the troubles I encountered while trying to make it back, I was still extremely happy to pull into Chucktown and begin a brand new year here. I am blessed to have a job that I love, a roof over my head and friends that make me smile. What more could I possibly need?


So there you have it, we should be pretty much caught up on life so far. Now if I can just make this blogging thing more of a regular occurrence. No promises but I'm going to try.




1 comment:

  1. It's getting better by the day!!
    PB

    ReplyDelete